Admission to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities: An introduction for military veterans

We welcome applications for admission from current or veteran service members and hope to assist you in applying for undergraduate admission to the University of Minnesota.

Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions about applying to the University as a veteran. Additional resources, including information on student veterans orientation and veterans education benefits, can be found on the University Veterans Services Web site.

Frequently Asked Questions for Veterans

Am I a freshman?

You are considered a freshman if you are still a high school student or if you have not enrolled in any college courses after graduating from high school. Click here to learn more about applying for admission as a freshman.

Am I a transfer student?

You are considered a transfer student if you have previously enrolled in any course for college credit after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in PSEO, College in the Schools, or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman. Click here to learn about applying for admission as a transfer student.

If you are unsure as to whether you are a freshman or transfer student, please contact the Office of Admissions at 612-625-2008 or 1-800-752-1000 and ask to speak with either Heidi Meyer or Matt Dion.

Do I need to take the ACT or SAT?

If you are a freshman, you will need to submit an ACT or SAT test score and a final high school transcript (or GED test score). Click here for details on registering for the ACT or SAT.

If you are unable to take the ACT due to extenuating circumstances such as deployment, there are a number of options that Heidi or Matt can share with you.

Do I need to submit the application fee?

If you are an active duty United States military service member currently deployed overseas, you do not need to pay the application fee. We will contact you to obtain a copy of your deployment papers.

How will my application be reviewed?

Admission for freshmen and transfer students is based on an overall assessment of primary and secondary review factors.

How do I apply for admission?

You may apply for admission online or request a paper application and submit it to the Office of Admissions in person or by mail.

Do you accept military credit?

While the University does not accept military credit as transfer credit, we will certainly consider such work as part your overall application assessment. Credit earned at schools or programs completed while in the military must offer a learning experience that is similar to the experience offered in a University of Minnesota - Twin Cities course.

Where can I find additional resources on being a veteran student at the University of Minnesota?

University Veterans Services offers extensive resources and services for prospective and current students related to veterans education benefits and benefit programs for military members, veterans, and their families.

Who can I contact with questions?

If you have questions about applying for admission, contact the Office of Admissions at 612-625-2008 or 1-800-752-1000 and ask to speak with either Heidi Meyer or Matt Dion.

If you have questions about veterans benefits or resources, or would like to schedule an individual consultation, contact the Veterans Services Office at 612-625-8076.

Request information

Return to Home Page

YouTube Instagram Virtual Tour