Transfer to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities

Before You Apply

Become Familiar with Campus

One of the most important ways to know if a college or university is a good fit for you is to explore campus. At the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, we offer many ways to explore campus and learn about the experiences and programs that make the U of M a special place.

Explore Campus

Explore Majors

The University of Minnesota Twin Cities offers over 150+ majors and 135+ minors. Whether you already know what you want to study or are just starting to look, the U of M will help you discover what makes you driven to learn more.

Explore Majors

Review Transfer Admissions Requirements

Each particular college or program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities has its own admissions requirements. Applicants may be admitted if they meet the entrance requirements of the college or program to which they applied.

Learn more about Transfer Admissions Requirements

Learn more about Transfer Credits

To learn more about how courses taken from another college or university will transfer to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, visit Transferology. This free, web-based system grants you access to accurate, up-to-date information about how your courses will transfer and apply to a degree program at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. 

See how your credits will transfer to the U of M


Admissions Decision Timing

Transfer admission is available for both spring and fall semester. However, Carlson School of Management, the College of Science and Engineering, the College of Biological Sciences, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Science and Nursing only accept transfer applications for the fall semester.

Students who submit completed applications by the priority deadline will be given full consideration. Applications received or completed after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis. Note: Some programs may close their admission before the final deadline.

Transfer Application Deadlines


The transfer application to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities does not require an essay or letters of recommendation, which makes submitting your application easy!

Please note, applicants to the Acting, Dance, Dental Hygiene, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Music, Nursing, or Mortuary Science programs must submit a supplemental application.

Apply to the University of MinnesotaSubmitting Missing Materials

File the FAFSA

To be awarded financial aid, students and their families must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application is available online. Even if you think you may not be eligible, we strongly encourage you to submit the FAFSA. 

Cost, Aid and Scholarship Information

Submit a Housing Application

Students who live on campus are more likely to have better grades, stick with school, and graduate on time. Transfer students have the option to live on-campus or off-campus during their time as a Golden Gopher. The University of Minnesota Twin Cities offers a limited number of on-campus housing options for transfer students. 

Learn more about transfer housing options

Apply for the University Honors Program

Transfer students are accepted into the University Honors Program every fall semester on a space-available basis. For more information on eligibility requirements and application information, visit the University Honors Program website. 

University Honors Program Information


Confirm Enrollment

When you confirm your enrollment, you are declaring your intent to attend the University of Minnesota Twin Cities, and we will hold a place for you in the incoming transfer class. To confirm your enrollment, you will need to submit a nonrefundable confirmation fee by the deadline noted on your admission materials. 

Note: the confirmation fee for spring and fall transfer students are: $95 (spring 2024 transfer students), and $150 (fall 2024 transfer students) 

Confirm Your Enrollment

Submit Official Documents

Students must submit official, final transcripts from all colleges or universities that they have attended, even if no credit was earned. Once transcripts are received, we will email instructions to view your transfer credit evaluation. This evaluation will show the courses and total credits transferred, the courses that did not transfer, as well as how the transfer courses will fulfill any of the University’s liberal education requirements.

In addition to submitting final transcripts from all colleges or universities that you have attended, successful completion of high school graduation is a U of M enrollment requirement. In order to verify you have completed this requirement, your final transcript, including date of graduation, is due to the Office of Admissions by the date listed on your admission materials.

Attend Transfer Student Orientation

After confirming your enrollment, you will receive an invitation to orientation from your college of admission. Orientation is required for all transfer students. During orientation you will meet with an academic advisor and register for classes, become familiar using the University’s course management tool Canvas, and connect with other transfer students. 

Transfer Student Orientation

Start Your Journey at the U of M

Answering your transfer questions

Do you have a question about transfer admissions but you're not sure whether to email, call, or visit? Use this tool to help you decide!


Styled Content

Expand all

I want to learn more about transfer admission

I want to visit campus

I have a few quick questions about transferring

I want to discuss transfer requirements

Learn about transfer requirements

Styled Content

I want to review how my courses will transfer

How will my credits transfer?

Styled Content

I need help finishing my application

Transfer application help

Styled Content

Other (my question isn't listed)