Checklist for Admitted International Transfer Students

Complete these important steps right away to ensure you are ready to be a #FutureGopher!

Styled Content

Next Steps

Expand all

Next Steps

Confirm your Enrollment (Reserve your Spot)

Let us know that you’re coming, and to reserve your place at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. To confirm your enrollment, you will need to submit a nonrefundable $95 confirmation fee by the deadline noted in your admission materials. 
Confirmations submitted after the deadline are accepted on a space-available basis. 

Note: the confirmation fee for spring and fall transfer students are listed below:

  • Spring 2024 Transfer students: $95
  • Fall 2024 Transfer students: $150

Submit Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request

All international students who need an F-1 visa to study at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities must request an I-20 document from the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office. Complete the Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request at as soon as possible, but no later than December 15 (spring students) or August 1 (fall students). The form can also be accessed directly through this link:

The Undergraduate New Student I-20 Request is required for all new F-1 undergraduate students, including students who will transfer their I-20 and F-1 visa status from a current U.S. school to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. More information is available at

Arrange Housing

Be sure to make housing arrangements prior to arriving on campus. For complete information about the various housing options available, please visit the University’s Housing & Residential Life website at Everything you need to know about on-campus, off-campus, and temporary housing for those who will arrive in the U.S. prior to the beginning of the semester is available on this website. On-campus housing is limited. If you need to secure off-campus housing, you should arrive approximately three weeks prior to the start of classes so you have sufficient time to search for housing.

After You Confirm

Expand all

After You Confirm

Submit Proof of High School Graduation

Successful completion of secondary school/high school graduation is a University of Minnesota enrollment requirement. In order to fulfill the University of Minnesota policy for proof of high school graduation, you must provide the Office of Admissions with an official copy of your graduation certificate and/or final secondary school transcript and/or leaving exam results along with official English translations by January 15 (spring students) or August 1 (fall students):

  • Proof of high school graduation may include exam results such as, but not limited to, IB, A-level, WAEC, HKDSE, SPM, and CISCE/CBSE. Examples of official documents and the submission instructions can be found on the Office of Admissions website at
  • If you have completed a GED program, you will need to provide an official copy of your GED certificate.
  • If you have obtained an Associate of Arts degree from a U.S. college, submit your final transcript with completion of an Associate of Arts degree listed on the document. Note: We may not accept Associate of Science degrees as satisfying our high school graduation requirements.

All documents not issued in English must be in the original language and include a certified, true (word-for-word) English translation. Official documents are those that are original or are attested copies of original academic documents mailed in a sealed, stamped school envelope directly from the secondary school or examining board. A scanned or electronic copy of an official document submitted by a student is considered unofficial.

If you do not complete this requirement by the stated deadline, you will have a MD hold placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for classes.

Submit Official Final College/University Transcripts

Arrange to have your official, final transcripts (with English translation, if necessary) directly to the Office of Admissions from all colleges or universities you have attended, even if no credit was earned. Once transcripts are received, we will post transfer credits on the Transfer Record of Articulated Courses (TRAC) report. This report will show the courses and total credits transferred, the courses that did not transfer, as well as how the transfer courses will fulfill any of the University’s Liberal Education (LE) requirements.

When you attend Transfer Student Orientation, you will receive an Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) report that shows how your transfer courses may have fulfilled any college or major requirement in order to complete your degree.

Note that your international credits may not transfer as 1 to 1. Courses will transfer as T (Transfer as a grade equivalent to the U.S. A, B, or C grade), D (Transfer as a grade equivalent to the U.S. D grade), or F (Fail). Individual transfer courses, credits, and grades will not appear on your University of Minnesota transcript, nor will they be calculated into your University of Minnesota grade point average (GPA). Courses with a D grade will not be used to meet some college major requirements. You may need to supply additional information before you will know if a course you have taken will meet any LE or major requirements. Learn more about international transfer credit evaluations at

Attend New Student Orientation

International transfer students must complete both international student orientation and transfer student orientation.

International Student Online Preparation Course

Prior to arrival, all new international students are required to complete the International Student Preparation Course. This program is the first step in completing new international student orientation requirements, and it will help you prepare for your arrival at the University. Visit to begin the course.

Upon arrival, complete the MyISSS Document Check and attend the ISSS Check-in and Welcome Session. Review the ISSS New Student Information at

Transfer Orientation: New Student Checklist

Transfer Orientation is required for all new transfer students. Once you have confirmed your enrollment, you will receive information from your college about completing your New Student Checklist.

The New Student Checklist is an interactive, online checklist allowing students to complete the “Tell us about yourself” survey, sign up for orientation dates, and take any required placement exams. Depending on your college, you may need to take a placement test for math, chemistry, and/or a second language to help us determine the best starting point for your college curriculum.

For more information, visit Orientation & Transition Experiences at

Celebrate Becoming a Golden Gopher!

There are many ways to celebrate and let others know of your admission to the University of Minnesota! You can:

  • Visit our #FutureGopher page to download Gopher Pride, get Gopher gear and more
  • Celebrate Maroon and Gold Fridays by wearing your U of M gear this Friday, and every Friday!
  • Share a picture of your UMN Pride, and use the #FutureGopher hashtag with all your U of M related posts!