Checklist for Admitted Transfer Students

Complete these important steps right away to ensure you are ready to be a #FutureGopher!

Styled Content

Next Steps

Expand all

Next Steps

Confirm your Enrollment (Reserve your Spot)

Let us know that you’re coming, and to reserve your place at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. To confirm your enrollment, you need to submit a nonrefundable confirmation fee by the deadline noted in your admission materials. You may do so online.
Confirmations submitted after the deadline are accepted on a space-available basis.

Note: the confirmation fee for spring and fall transfer students are listed below:

  • Spring 2024 Transfer students: $95
  • Fall 2024 Transfer students: $150

Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for need-based grants, scholarships, loans, work-study, and non-need-based student and parent loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We strongly encourage you to submit the FAFSA, even if you aren't sure you will be eligible. For more information about the FAFSA, visit the Costs, Aid, and Scholarships section of our website or contact a financial aid counselor at One Stop.

Arrange Housing

On-campus housing 

A limited number of on-campus housing spaces are available for transfer students. For more information about housing options available, please visit the University’s Housing & Residential Life website. 

Off-campus housing

If you want to live off-campus in a house, room, or apartment, Housing & Residential Life also has information about privately owned housing. For listings of rental vacancies in campus area neighborhoods—including Dinkytown, Stadium Village, West Bank, and St. Anthony Park— you also may check the classified ads in the Minnesota Daily, the student newspaper.

On-campus housing Off-campus housing

After You Confirm

Expand all

After You Confirm

Celebrate Becoming a Golden Gopher!

There are many ways to celebrate and let others know of your admission to the University of Minnesota! You can:

  • Visit our #FutureGopher page to download Gopher Pride, get Gopher gear and more
  • Celebrate Maroon and Gold Fridays by wearing your U of M gear this Friday, and every Friday!
  • Share a picture of your UMN Pride, and use the #FutureGopher hashtag with all your U of M related posts!

Submit Transcripts

College/university transcripts

After we receive your official, final transcripts from all colleges or universities that you have attended, we will email instructions to view your transfer credit evaluation. This evaluation will show the courses and total credits transferred, the courses that did not transfer, as well as how the transfer courses will fulfill any of the University’s liberal education requirements (to include first-year writing and writing intensive requirements). When you attend Transfer Orientation, you will receive an Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) report that shows how your transfer courses may have fulfilled any college or major requirements.

Secondary school/high school transcript

Successful completion of secondary school/high school graduation is a U of M enrollment requirement. In order to verify you have completed this requirement, your final transcript, including date of graduation, is due to the Office of Admissions by the deadline noted in your admission materials. If we do not receive your final high school transcript, a hold will be placed on your record, preventing you from registering for future terms. 

Exception: Students who have completed a previous A.A. degree or bachelor’s degree do not need to submit a high school transcript.

Submit Official Test Scores

  • If you chose to include an ACT/SAT score as part of your application for admission, or if you self-reported an English proficiency score on your application, you must have your official test scores submitted from the testing agency to the Office of Admissions by the deadline noted in your admission materials. 
  • If you did not self-report any test scores on your application for admission, you do not need to submit official test scores. 

Attend New Student Orientation

After you submit your enrollment confirmation, you will receive an invitation to orientation from your college of admission. Your college will be in contact with you about the specific date. If you have questions, reach out to Orientation & Transition Experiences.
At New Student Orientation, you will:

  • Understand the academic and community expectations of a University of Minnesota student.
  • Feel more prepared to transition into the University.
  • Become acquainted with the resources available to University of Minnesota students.
  • Meet with an academic advisor and register for courses.
  • Have a better understanding of the University of Minnesota student experience.