Freshman Application Deadlines
This deadline information is for the fall 2021 freshman application. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
The application for Fall 2021 Freshman Admission will be available in August.
Fall semester 2021
November 1 Early Action I Deadline
- Students who apply by November 1 will receive full consideration for admission, University Honors Program, and scholarships. Admission decisions will be provided by the end of January and Honors and scholarships decisions will be provided by the end of March.
- November 1 is also the deadline by which freshman School of Nursing applicants must submit their application to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
December 1 Early Action II Deadline
- Students who apply by December 1 will receive full consideration for admission, University Honors Program, and scholarships. Admission decisions will be provided by February 15.
January 1 Regular Deadline
- Students who apply by January 1 will receive full consideration for admission, University Honors Program, and scholarships. Admission decisions will be provided by the end of March.
Financial aid application (FAFSA) priority deadline
To apply for need-based grants, scholarships, loans, work-study; and non-need-based student and parent loans, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA application will be available October 1, and families can fill it out using their 2019 income tax information. Admitted students who have submitted a FAFSA will begin receiving estimated financial aid award notices in February.
The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for federal, state, and University aid. Even if you think you may not be eligible, we strongly encourage you to submit the FAFSA. For more information about the FAFSA, visit the Costs, Aid, and Scholarships section of our website.
Freshman Housing Guarantee deadline
Students can submit the housing application online prior to receiving their admission decision. Applying for housing early will increase the chances of students receiving their preferred residence hall. Housing assignments are made in the order in which the housing application (NOT the application for admission) is received.
The University of Minnesota guarantees housing to all admitted first-year freshmen who are willing to accept assignment to any space designated, and who:
- Submit the housing application and $50 non-refundable housing application fee to Housing & Residential Life no later than May 1; and
- Confirm their enrollment with the Office of Admissions.
Admitted freshmen who apply for housing after May 1 are placed in housing on a space-available basis.
Enrollment confirmation deadline
When students confirm their enrollment, they are declaring their intent to attend the University of Minnesota, and we will reserve a place for them in the incoming class.
- What is my confirmation deadline? Your confirmation deadline is found on your application tracker. Most admitted freshmen students have a confirmation deadline of May 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. central time. If you received a later admissions decision, you may see a later date on your application tracker. Confirmations received after 11:59 p.m. central time on your deadline date will be reviewed on a space available basis.
- Can I confirm after the deadline? Possibly. Depending on the space available in the college of admittance, you may still be able to confirm your enrollment. We encourage you to decide and act quickly if you wish to enroll. Note, as of May 3 the Carlson School of Management and the School of Nursing are no longer accepting confirmations.
For students who submit an enrollment confirmation fee after their deadline, we cannot guarantee that space will be available in the freshman class. If a student misses their confirmation deadline, and space is not available, the fee will be refunded.