University of Minnesota transfer admission criteria
Applicants may be admitted if they meet the entrance requirements of the college or program to which they have applied, and of the major they wish to enter.
Transfer applicants are considered for admission based on an individual review of their applications by the college to which they are applying. In general, transfer applicants must have completed (or be completing) at least 26 semester credits at the time of application. It is rare for students enrolled in their first term of college to be admitted for the spring semester.
Individual colleges and programs review each application using the academic and context review factors listed below, in addition to the program-specific criteria described in the next section. These criteria include the specific prerequisite course and credit requirements for the individual college or program.
Specific College Requirements
View a full table of specific college admission information, or see the detailed information on each individual college and program by selecting your college of interest from the list below.
Change of College
If you are transferring from one degree program to another on the Twin Cities campus, or if you are transferring from the University of Minnesota system campuses of Crookston, Duluth, or Morris, you must complete a Change of College application. Visit One Stop for detailed information.
- If you are returning to a degree program from an absence of one year or longer, you must complete an Application for Readmission.
- If you are returning to a degree program but have not been granted a formal "leave of absence" or who do not register for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer session) shall be place on "inactive" status. When returning from "inactive" status, you must fill out the Application for Readmission and submit the completed form to your college office. This form is available from your college office. You can find your college's contact information at z.umn.edu/ReadmissionCollegeInfo. You must also submit any official transcript(s) of any outside course work since your last attendance at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities to the Office of Admissions.
- For more information, please visit the OneStop Return to the University webpage.
High School Course Preparation Requirements
Most successful transfer applicants will have completed the high school preparation requirements listed below. Both high school and equivalent college coursework will be reviewed for the fulfillment of high school preparation requirements.
- Four years of English, with emphasis on writing, including instruction in reading and speaking skills and in literary understanding and appreciation;
- Four years of mathematics, including one year each of elementary algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra;
- Three years of science, including one year each of biological and physical science and including laboratory experience;
- Three years of social studies, including one year each of U.S. history and geography (or a course that includes a geography component such as world history, western civilization, or global studies);
- Two years of a single second language; and
- One year of visual and/or performing arts, including instruction in the history and interpretation of the art form (e.g., theater arts, music, band, chorus, orchestra, drawing, painting, photography, graphic design, media production, theater production.).