Frequently Asked Questions about International Admission

Styled Content

Expand all

What application should I use?

  • If you are a freshman applicant, you can select  one of the following application platforms: Common App or Golden Gopher Application
    • We do not have a preference for which application platform you use, but please submit only one application. Submitting more than one will delay your admission decision.
  • If you are a transfer applicant, use the Golden Gopher Application

What type of visa do I need?

When an international student is admitted to the University, the Office of Admissions issues a document called the I-20. The student uses this document to apply for the F-1 visa at the U.S. Consulate nearest to them. Some students who already have a visa (such as an H or L visa) may choose not to change to the F-1 visa.

Do I have to take an English proficiency exam?

The University of Minnesota Twin Cities requires international students to demonstrate a command of the English language that is necessary for success in college level classes taught in English. To determine whether or not you could be exempted from this requirement, and to see what English language proficiency tests and scores the University of Minnesota Twin Cities accepts, visit our English Proficiency Information page. 

When will I receive my I-20?

We issue I-20 forms after a student is admitted and confirms their enrollment to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. This goes out immediately for students who are coming directly from their home country. If students are transferring from another school in the U.S. (either High School or College), we have to wait until their current school releases them before we can issue the I-20.

When will I go through orientation and register for classes?

Incoming international students must attend both international student orientation and freshman or transfer orientation. More information on both of these events will be provided once students confirm their enrollment. 

Are there scholarships or financial aid available for international students?

International students studying on an F-1 visa in the U.S. do not qualify for U.S. or Minnesota state financial aid programs. The University of Minnesota Twin Cities does not offer a full tuition waiver or scholarship, and the University assumes that international students will take full responsibility for financing their education. All international students attending on an F-1 visa who are admitted for fall admission are automatically considered for a Global Excellence Scholarship. For more information, visit our Costs, Scholarships, and Visas for International Students page.