Application Checklist for International Transfer Students

Styled Content

International Transfer Application Checklist

A complete international transfer application consists of the items listed below. Applications cannot be reviewed until all of these items are received.

Before applying

Visit Transfer Admission Requirements to learn about program-specific criteria including specific prerequisite courses and credit requirements for the individual college or program.

After applying

Check Application Tracker to verify that the University of Minnesota Twin Cities has received your submitted documents and ensure all items are received by the transfer application deadline(s).

Official college or university transcript(s)

Official transcript(s) and official English translations of transcript(s) from all* postsecondary schools attended are required, even if no credit was earned. Arrange to have your official college or university transcripts submitted directly to the Office of Admissions.

  • If you are applying for fall semester and currently are attending school, your transcript must include grades for the requested fall term and a list of your spring courses in progress.
  • If you are applying for spring semester and currently are attending school, your transcript must include grades for the requested spring term and a list of your fall courses in progress.
  • If grades are not yet available, please send them as soon as they are available.

The Request for Academic Record form may help you obtain your official transcripts. Download the form, complete the top part of the form, and submit it to your school.

*In order to avoid potential actions such as denial or cancellation of admission, denial of transfer credit for courses completed, and/or other sanctions described under the student conduct code, all postsecondary schools you have attended must be reported.

Supplemental application(s)

If you are applying to the Carlson School of Management, Center for Allied Health, College of Education and Human Development, Dental Hygiene, Mortuary Science, or Nursing, a supplemental application is required. Supplemental applications can be completed via your Application Tracker. Please note that some supplemental applications require an additional fee. To learn about specific college requirements, visit Transfer Admission Requirements.

Proof of high school graduation requirement

If you are admitted and confirm your enrollment, in order to fulfill the University of Minnesota policy for proof of high school graduation, you must provide the Office of Admissions with an official copy of your graduation certificate and/or final secondary school transcript and/or exam results along with official English translations.

  • Proof of high school graduation may include exam results such as, but not limited to, IB, A-level, WAEC, HKDSE, SPM, and CISCE/CBSE. Refer to the Secondary School Sample Documents page for examples of acceptable transcripts.
  • If you have completed a GED program, we require that you provide an official copy of your GED certificate.
  • If you have obtained an Associate of Arts degree from a US college, we will require an official copy of your final transcript with completion of an Associate of Arts degree listed on the document. Note: We may not accept Associate of Science degrees as satisfying our high school graduation requirements.

Test scores

The University of Minnesota Twin Cities requires international students to demonstrate a command of the English language that is necessary for success in college level classes taught in English. To learn how to meet the University of Minnesota's English proficiency requirements, visit our English Proficiency Information page.

If you have completed less than one year of postsecondary studies or 26 transferable semester credits, the SAT or ACT examination is recommended.

Additional application material requirement

  • Official Secondary School Documents: If you have not completed 26 or more transferable semester credits after high school graduation at a two or four post-secondary institution, your official high school documents will be required. Refer to our Secondary School Sample Documents page.
  • Missing Time Information: Students who have had a break in their education after completing high school or between any years of college/university enrollment should submit a list of work, school, or other activities since graduating from high school, with dates included.

If your application file is missing one of the items above, use our International Missing Information Guide for instructions on how to complete your application.