Your freshman application is complete when you submit these three items:
1. Application form
We do not have a preference for which application platform you use, but please submit only one application. Submitting more than one will delay your admission decision.
2. Application fee
Pay the $55 application fee within your application platform or receive an automatic fee waiver based on answers in your application form.
3. Academic Record
Self-report your high school courses and grades (see frequently asked questions to learn more):
- Golden Gopher Application: complete the Academic Record section within the application.
- Common Application: complete the Courses and Grades section and enter your test scores in your profile section.
- If you take a course at a college while in high school, self-report any college courses as "Dual Enrollment" for the course level on your Academic Record.
- If you did not graduate from high school but earned a GED (or other high school equivalency), submit official test scores.
- If you attended or graduated from a secondary school in another country, refer to "Self-Report Academic Record: High school (9th-12th grade) courses and grades" at Application Checklist for International Freshman Applicants.
- If English is not your native language and if your ACT English and/or reading scores are 21 or lower (or SAT Evidence Based Reading and Writing score is 540 or lower), you may be asked to submit scores from the MN Battery or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Contact the Office of Admissions for details.
If any additional information is required, we will request it as needed. You can also refer to detailed instructions on submitting supporting materials or requested items.
After You Apply
- Within two weeks of submitting an application, students will receive an acknowledgement that their application was received.
- Within four weeks, students will be notified if any items are missing (self-reported grades, test scores, application fee, etc.). Missing items will also be listed in the online Application Tracker.
- When the application is complete, students will receive an email indicating that the application is complete and when they will receive a decision. Students with complete applications will also receive an email from the University inviting them to also consider the University of Minnesota's other campuses (Crookston, Duluth, Morris, and Rochester.)