Freshman Application Deadlines
- Early Action I Deadline applicants: Students who submit their complete applications by the November 1 Early Action I Deadline* will receive an admission decision on Application Tracker by January 31.
- Early Action II Deadline applicants: Students who submit their complete applications by the December 1 Early Action II Deadline will receive an admission decision on Application Tracker by February 15.
- Regular Deadline applicants: Students who submit their complete applications by the January 1 Regular Deadline will receive an admission decision on Application Tracker by March 31.
*November 1 is also the deadline by which freshman School of Nursing applicants must submit their application to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. All nursing applicants will receive an admission decision on a single release date of December 15.
Admission decisions are based on a holistic review of each student's application materials. Each student who submits a complete application by either the early action or regular deadline will receive one of the following decisions. Please note that admission decisions are posted on the University's Application Tracker.
- Admit: Based on our holistic review, the student has been admitted to the University of Minnesota.
- Defer: The admissions committee has completed a holistic review of the application but has not yet made a final decision. Deferred applications will be reviewed a second time, taking into consideration the number of spaces available in the freshman class and competitiveness of the entire pool of applicants who met the January 1 regular application deadline. By March 31, deferred applicants will receive either an admit, waitlist, or deny decision.
- Deny: We are not able to offer freshman admission. Students who are denied admission are encouraged to apply for transfer admission for a future semester. Transfer admission is also competitive so it is important that students achieve a strong academic record at another college or university.
- Waitlist: The student's application has been placed on a waitlist. Although we have determined that the applicant is academically prepared to succeed at the University of Minnesota, we must make certain that we do not exceed the number of spaces available in each of the freshman-admitting colleges. Waitlisted applicants will receive an update on the status of their applications by mid-June. If we determine that spaces remain available, the overall strongest applicants will be admitted from the waitlist.