Application Checklist for International Transfer Applicants

A complete international transfer application consists of the items listed below. Applications cannot be reviewed until all of these items are received. Check Application Tracker to verify that the University of Minnesota has received your submitted documents and ensure all items are received by the application deadline(s).

Before applying, visit Transfer Admission Requirements to learn about program-specific criteria including specific prerequisite course and credit requirements for the individual college or program.

Application Checklist

  • Completed Application for Admission.

  • $55 nonrefundable application fee.

  • Official college or university transcript(s).
    Official transcript(s) and official English translations of transcript(s) from all* postsecondary schools attended are required, even if no credit was earned.

    *In order to avoid potential actions such as denial or cancellation of admission, denial of transfer credit for courses completed, and/or other sanctions described under the student conduct code, all postsecondary schools that you have attended must be reported.

    Arrange to have your official college or university transcripts submitted directly to the Office of Admissions
    • If you are applying for fall semester and are currently attending school, your transcript must include grades for the requested fall term and a list of your spring courses in progress.
    • If you are applying for spring semester and are currently attending school, your transcript must include grades for the requested spring term and a list of your fall courses in progress.
    • If grades are not yet available, please send them as soon as they are available.
    The Request for Academic Record form may help you obtain your official transcripts. Download the form, complete the top part of the form, and submit it to your school.

Official documents are those that are original or attested copies of original academic documents that are mailed in a sealed, stamped envelope directly from the secondary school, college, or university, and they must have been issued within the past year. All documents not issued in English must be in the original language and include a certified true English translation. A scanned or electronic copy of an official document is considered unofficial.

  • Supplemental application(s).
    If you are applying to the Carlson School of Management, Center for Allied Health (Clinical Laboratory Science)s, College of Education and Human Development, Dental Hygiene, Mortuary Science, or Nursing, a supplemental application is required. Supplemental applications are available on our Forms page. Please note that some supplemental applications require an additional fee. To learn about specific college requirements, visit Transfer Admission Requirements.

  • Test scores.
    If your native language is not English, an official report of an English proficiency test score is required. The University of Minnesota accepts the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic, the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB), Pearson Test of Academic English (PTE Academic), or Cambridge Assessment English (CAE) C1 Advanced. To learn how to meet the University of Minnesota's English proficiency requirements, visit our English Proficiency Information for International Students page.

    If you have completed less than one year of postsecondary studies, the SAT or ACT examination is recommended (and required for student athletes.)

  • Passport Copy
    Submit a copy of your passport using our Document Submission form. Passport copies are not required to receive an admission decision.

Additional application material requirement

If we require any additional information, it wil be noted on your Application Tracker.

  • Official Secondary School Documents: If you have not completed 26 or more transferable semester credits after high school graduation at a two or four post-secondary institution, your official high school documents will be required.
  • Missing Time Information: Students who have had a break in their education after completing high school or between any years of college/university enrollment should submit a statement of missing time using the Missing Time List form.

If your application file is missing one of the items above, use our International Missing Information Guide for instructions on how to complete your application.

Proof of high school graduation requirement

If you are admitted and confirm your enrollment, in order to fulfill the University of Minnesota policy for proof of high school graduation, you must provide the Office of Admissions with an official copy of your graduation certificate and/or final secondary school transcript and/or exam results along with official English translations.

  • Proof of high school graduation may include exam results such as, but not limited to, IB, A-level, WAEC, HKDSE, SPM, and CISCE/CBSE. Refer to the Country Specific Documents page for for examples of acceptable transcripts.
  • If you have completed a GED program, we require that you provide an official copy of your GED certificate.
  • If you have obtained an Associate of Arts degree from a US college, we will require an official copy of your final transcript with completion of an Associate of Arts degree listed on the document. Note: We may not accept Associate of Science degrees as satisfying our high school graduation requirements.

Request information

Return to Home Page

YouTube Instagram Virtual Tour