UPDATE: Students applying for fall 2021 and fall 2022 undergraduate admission at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus are not required to submit an ACT or SAT score. Learn more.

Undocumented & DACA Students

Our commitment

The University of Minnesota has a commitment to a diverse student body. As a University we encourage and welcome all students to apply, regardless of immigration status. We encourage students to apply as freshman (first year) or as a transfer student!

A diverse student body greatly enhances the academic and social environment of the campus and helps prepare students to thrive in a global society. One of the University's Student Learning Outcomes is that graduates are expected to "understand diverse philosophies and cultures within and across societies." Learn more about how the U of M values diversity broadly defined.

In a message to the campus community, University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel said:

"...let me affirm our University's strong and ongoing commitment to support all DACA recipients, including our students, faculty, staff, and community members, along with their families. I also want to note that the Minnesota Dream Act does not change in any way as a result of this ruling or any potential future efforts to terminate DACA at the federal level."
Read President Gabel's full message.


The University of Minnesota welcomes applications from undocumented students and those with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status and evaluates their applications in the domestic applicant pool under a need-blind admission policy. Need blind means the admissions review team can not access any information about your household income, like your FAFSA application.

Applying to the University of Minnesota

The University of Minnesota offers two ways to apply: The Common App and the Golden Gopher application. We do not have a preference for which application you choose to submit, we're just excited to have you apply! Please submit only one application.

Citizenship Question
In the "Common App" tab, "Profile" section, under "Citizenship"

  1. Under "Select your citizenship status," select "Other (Non-US)"
  2. Under "List citizenships," list all non-U.S. citizenships you hold.
  3. Under "Do you currently hold a valid U.S. Visa?" select "No"
  4. Indicate "If you intend to apply for a new or different U.S. Visa..." (also may be left blank).
Citizenship Question

Common App University of Minnesota TC Citizenship question - Undocumented and DACAmented Students

  • "Are you a U.S. citizen?", select "No".
  • "Are you currently living in the United States?", select "Yes"
  • "Choose one of the following", select "I am none of the above"
  • "State in which you claim legal residence", select the state in which you reside
  • "When did you move to that state?" If you've lived there your entire life, please enter your birth month/year.
Citizenship Question

About You tab, "Personal Information"

Social security number (optional)

  • If you have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)—for instance, because of immigration proceedings—enter that on the application.
  • If you have an SSN for work purposes (usually through DACA), use that where the application asks for an SSN.
  • If you don't have a valid SSN or SSN for work purposes, but do have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), use the ITIN in place of an SSN on the application.
  • If you don't have a valid SSN, SSN for work purposes, or ITIN, leave this item blank.
Personal Information SSN Question

About You tab, "Residency"

Residency for undocumented Student & DACAmented Student

  • Are you a U.S. citizen?, select "No"
  • Choose one of the following, select "I am none of the above"
  • Country of Citizenship, select country of native citizenship
  • Country of Birth, select Country of Birth
  • City of Birth, type city of birth
  • Are you currently living in the United States?, select "Yes"
Residency Question

Review/Submit tab

Application Fee:

The image shown is an example. Please provide answers accurate to your experience.

Note: The University of Minnesota Twin Cities wants to make sure that the application fee does not pose a barrier for any student who wishes to apply for admission.

If you feel that your financial circumstances might qualify you for an application fee waiver, please complete this section on the application.

Fee Question

Financial Aid

In recognition of outstanding academic achievements, the University offers a number of academic scholarships for incoming freshmen entering the University fall semester. These highly competitive awards range from $1,000 for one year to $60,000 over four years.

To be considered for University-wide scholarships, simply submit the application for freshman admission. There is no separate application! Admitted freshmen are considered for these University-wide scholarships based on an overall assessment of their admission application.

  • The Minnesota Dream Act provides undocumented Minnesota high school graduates meeting certain criteria with:
    • In-state resident tuition rates for undergraduate and graduate students at public colleges and universities, including all University of Minnesota campuses. Generally students are eligible if they have attended a Minnesota high school for at least three years, have graduated from a Minnesota high school (or earned a GED in Minnesota), and have registered with the U.S. Selective services (applies only to makes 18-25 years old).
    • State financial aid to students who meet state residency requirements, regardless of immigration status; and
    • Privately-funded financial aid through public colleges and universities, including aid from the University of Minnesota regardless of immigration status.
  • MN Dream Act State Grant eligibility requirements
  • Apply for MN Dream Act State Grant

SELF Loan:

  • Minnesota offers a loan program called the SELF Loan Program, which is available to students regardless of immigration status.
  • A separate application is used to apply for the SELF Loan, available through the college's financial aid office.
  • A qualified borrower who is an undocumented student must have a credit-worthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
  • For more information on the SELF Loan Program, visit www.selfloan.state.mn.us

Support Services for Current Students

The mission of the Immigration Response Team is to ensure that all faculty, staff, and students who are affected by immigration policy changes have access to resources and support. The team provides outreach to the greater University community on the impact of executive orders and other policy changes, immigration regulations, and issues connected with DACA and immigration status.

Student Legal Service (SLS) offers advice and representation in multiple areas. These services are available to University of Minnesota students paying the Student Services Fee at the Twin-Cities Campus and are limited to those outlined in our Policy Handbook.

Student Counseling Services' vision is a university where all students are empowered to reach their personal, academic, and career goals. Staff and trainees actively work to address forms of oppression in a culturally affirming manner and consider the impact of oppression for students who seek services at SCS. SCS continues to address this work from an empowerment and advocacy framework.

Dream Fund provides current immigrant students facing financial emergencies with assistance to continue pursuing their education.

The Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence prioritizes the academic lives of students from historically marginalized backgrounds in their pursuit of a college degree within the context of a predominantly White campus.

Additional Resources

Privacy and Non-Discrimination

The university keeps student and personnel records private and will not share such information with immigration agencies unless legally compelled to do so.

Request information

Return to Home Page

YouTube Instagram Virtual Tour