How to complete the Golden Gopher application if you are an undocumented student

Styled Content

About You tab, "Personal Information"

Social Security Number (Optional)
  • If you have a valid Social Security Number (SSN)—for instance, because of immigration proceedings—enter that on the application.
  • If you have an SSN for work purposes (usually through DACA), use that where the application asks for an SSN.
  • If you don't have a valid SSN or SSN for work purposes, but do have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), use the ITIN in place of an SSN on the application.
  • If you don't have a valid SSN, SSN for work purposes, or ITIN, leave this item blank.


About You tab, "Residency"

Residency for Undocumented Students & DACAmented Students
  • Are you a U.S. citizen?, select "No"
  • Choose one of the following, select "I am none of the above"
  • Country of Citizenship, select country of native citizenship
  • Country of Birth, select Country of Birth
  • City of Birth, type city of birth
  • Are you currently living in the United States?, select "Yes"


Review/Submit tab

Application Fee:

The image shown is an example. Please provide answers accurate to your experience.

Note: The University of Minnesota Twin Cities wants to make sure that the application fee does not pose a barrier for any student who wishes to apply for admission. If you feel that your financial circumstances might qualify you for an application fee waiver, please complete this section on the application.