Welcome to the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program!
The University of Minnesota Twin Cities has teamed up with seven public two-year campuses around Minnesota to offer the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program (MnCAP). When you enroll in the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program, you will be guaranteed transfer admission to one of the participating U of M majors when you meet certain conditions.
Please note: This program is open to transfer students only. You are considered a transfer student if you are a high school graduate who has registered or enrolled at a college, university, or any other school after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in PSEO, College in the Schools, or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman.
Also, if you have previously enrolled in a degree program, are transferring from one degree program to another on the Twin Cities campus, or are transferring from another University of Minnesota campus, you do not qualify for MnCAP and you must follow the steps to complete the Change of College form instead.
Participating U of M colleges include:
- College of Biological Sciences (CBS)
- College of Continuing and Professional Studies (CCAPS) (Construction Management, Health Services Management, Information Technology Infrastructure, Manufacturing Operations Management)
- College of Design (CDes) (Landscape Design & Planning only)
- College of Education & Human Development (CEHD) (Family Social Science, Recreation Administration, and Youth Studies only)
- College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences (CFANS)
- College of Liberal Arts (CLA)
- College of Science and Engineering (CSE) (Astrophysics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Mathematics, and Physics only)
Students enrolling in this program will work with designated staff from one of the community colleges and the University's Office of Admissions to define the specific conditions for transfer.
What University majors are available through this program?
Many of the University's majors participate in MnCAP. They are all majors for which students can take introductory level courses and other prerequisite courses at one or more of the participating community colleges. Check the list to see which U of M majors are offered at each of the community colleges (note that not all majors are offered at all seven colleges).
If you are interested in a major that you don't find on this list, please contact the Office of Admissions about criteria for transferring with a different major.
What are the requirements for admission to the University under this program?
Prior to enrolling at the University, you should do the following:
- Complete the AA degree or the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
- Complete the appropriate prerequisite and introductory courses for your intended major, with grades of C or higher. If you enter the MnCAP program as an undeclared major, you must have declared a major in one of the participating colleges by the time you apply for transfer to the U of M.
- Meet the priority application deadline for the term you wish to begin.
- Meet any additional admission conditions for individual U of M colleges.
See specific requirements for your major and college of interest.
Partners in transfer - MnCAP community colleges
In order to enroll in the program, you must contact the community college of your choice, listed below. You may contact them by phone or refer to their web sites for further information. Visit the college, and let them know that you're interested in transferring to the University through the Minnesota Cooperative Admissions Program.
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College
- General information & admissions: 763-433-1100
- Century College - a Community & Technical College
- Admissions: 651-773-1700
- Inver Hills Community College
- Admissions: 651-450-3902
- Minneapolis Community & Technical College
- Admissions: 612-659-6282
- Normandale Community College
- Admissions: 952-358-8201
- North Hennepin Community College
- Admissions: 763-424-0724
- Saint Paul College
- Admissions: 651-846-1555
Your next steps:
- Review the majors in the MnCAP program, and the conditions for admission to individual colleges;
- Explore your options at the community college that is best for you and your interest areas;
- Submit the MnCAP Admissions Guarantee Form to the Office of Admissions;
- Bring a copy of the MnCAP requirements to the community college when you attend orientation or register for classes, for your adviser and your community college file;
- Work hard at the community college for 3-4 semesters to ensure that you meet the requirements for admission outlined in the Guarantee;
- Stay in contact with an adviser from the college and major to which you intend to transfer.