Merit-based scholarships awarded by the University of Minnesota are highly competitive. We encourage students to pursue community and organizational scholarship opportunities in addition to our University-sponsored scholarships. Many companies and organizations sponsor scholarships to support students and defray the costs of a college education. We have compiled this list of additional opportunities to pursue scholarship support. The list provides a sampling of scholarship awards provided by organizations outside the U of M. Please note that the University of Minnesota is not affiliated with these scholarship sources.
Scholarship Opportunities and Resources
College Board Opportunity Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
The College Board Opportunity Scholarships reward students for taking key steps in the college admission process. Students in the United States, Puerto Rico, and other U.S. territories are eligible; there is no citizenship requirement. This program is open to students regardless of family income.
Scholarships range from $500 to $2,000. Students who complete all six steps of the program are eligible to earn a $40,000 scholarship. Get more information and details on how to sign up for the program. This program began in December 2018.
Wallin Education Partners Scholarship (Amounts Vary)
High school students from 38 Twin Cities-area high schools are eligible to be considered for a Wallin Education Partners Scholarship. Selection decisions are based on academic achievement, community and family involvement and higher education potential as determined by success in academic coursework, letters of recommendation and demonstrated financial need. Recipients are selected by the Wallin Education Partners application review committee.
Wallin Education Partners administers named scholarships for a number of individual, foundation and corporate donor partners. In addition to financial support, Wallin Education Partners assigns a professional advisor to each selected scholar to ensure college success, provides college to career programming, and facilitates donor partner connections.
For more information, please contact Wallin Education Partners at [email protected] or 952-345-1920.
Alpha Kappa Psi Scholarship ($5,000 to $20,000)
The Alpha Kappa Psi Scholarship Fund awards tuition and housing scholarships to incoming freshmen admitted to the Carlson School of Management at the University of Minnesota. Students are selected to receive scholarships based upon a strong academic record, demonstrated leadership experience and extracurricular involvement. Most scholarships take financial need into account. Please note: Scholarship applicants and recipients are not required to join the Alpha Kappa Psi co-ed professional business fraternity.
The Alpha Kappa Psi Scholarship Fund was created in 1988 and has awarded over $1.5 million dollars in scholarships to 250 University of Minnesota undergraduate students. Last year, each student selected for an award received a scholarship package valued between $5,000 and $20,000. Learn more and apply (deadline is February 21 of each year).
Pierce Butler Scholarship ($500 or $1,500)
Funded by the Minnesota Beta Chapter of Phi Kappa Psi, the Pierce Butler Scholarship awards 8 different scholarships, one being $1,500 and 7 being $500 to undergraduate males at the University of Minnesota who exemplify strong character, integrity, and honor. This merit-based scholarship is designed to promote academic excellence among a new generation of Golden Gophers, while fostering a positive campus atmosphere.
Applicants must submit an online application to be reviewed by a panel of alumni and undergraduate members of Phi Kappa Psi. Select applicants will be chosen for a final interview round. Scholarship applicants are not required to join the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity.
For more information, please visit http://www.mnphipsi.com/scholarship/.
- Fastweb Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Sallie Mae Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Scholarship Experts Database (Amounts Vary)
- Financial Aid Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Financial Aid Finder Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Pell Grants (Amounts Vary)
- College Scholarships Database (Amounts Vary)
Scholarship Opportunities for Multicultural Students
The Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship (Up to $7,500 per year)
The Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship application is web-based and can be found on the Jackie Robinson Foundation site. Factors taken into consideration include present evidence of financial need, U.S. citizenship, demonstrated academic achievement, contribution to diversity, and evidence of leadership potential. Learn more and apply.
Additional Scholarships and Programs
- Minority Scholarship Program (Amounts Vary)
- MnAcc Scholarship (Amounts Vary)
- Page Scholar Program ($1,000-$2,500)
- Wallin Scholars Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Telacu Education Foundation Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- Free 4-U Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Super College Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Pre-Engineering Student Scholarship ($1,500)
- League Foundation Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- UNCF Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
Scholarship Opportunities for Asian-American/Pacific Islander Students
- Asian-American Journalists Association Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- US Pan Asian Chamber of Commerce Education Foundation Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- Asian Pacific Islander Scholarship Fund (Amounts Vary)
- Asian Pacific Islander Organization Scholarship (Amounts Vary)
- Japanese American Citizens League (Amounts Vary)
- APIA Scholarship Program (Amounts Vary)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (Amounts Vary)
- Korean American Scholarship Foundation (Amounts Vary)
- Taiwanese American Scholarship Fund (Amounts Vary)
- Upakar Foundation Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- College Education AAPI Scholarship Listings (Amounts Vary)
Scholarship Opportunities for Chicano/Latino Students
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute Scholarship ($2,500)
- Latino Economic Development Center (Amounts Vary)
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Twin Cities Chapter (Amounts Vary)
Scholarship Opportunities for African American Students
Ron Brown Scholar Program ($10,000 per year)
The Ron Brown Scholar program seeks to identify African-American high school seniors who will make significant contributions to society. Applicants must excel academically, exhibit exceptional leadership potential, participate in community service activities, and demonstrate financial need. The applicant must be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa card.
Each year, 10-20 students will be designated Ron Brown Scholars and will receive $10,000 annually for four years, for a total of $40,000. The recipients may use the renewable scholarships to attend an accredited four-year college or university of their choice within the United States, including the University of Minnesota.
For more information, visit http://www.ronbrown.org.
- Whitney M. Young, Jr. Scholarship ($1,500 or $3,500)
- Black Excel Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- NAACP Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Little Africa Scholarship Database (Amounts Vary)
- Congressional Black Caucus Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
- National Association of Black Journalists Scholarships (Amounts Vary)
Scholarship Opportunities for American Indian Students
We especially encourage you to seek out scholarships that may be available in your home community. Civic groups, churches, businesses, and other non-University of Minnesota agencies offer many scholarships to students beginning college. Listings of these scholarships are available in the reference sections of your high school or public library.
You can use a free national scholarship database search service called Fast Web. You can also search the University's One Stop Grant and Scholarship Resources website for other grants and scholarships for which you may be eligible to apply.
This list above provides a sampling for scholarships awards provided by organizations outside the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. For the most up-to-date information on these scholarships, their deadlines and requirements, please contact them directly.