Information for Minnesota Residents


If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card), you are considered a Minnesota resident if:

  • You have lived in Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to your first day of class attendance, and
  • Your primary reason for being in Minnesota is not to attend school.

An out-of-state history, including transfer coursework, graduation from a non-Minnesota high school, and out-of-state work experience, may result in an initial classification of nonresident.

If you are not sure whether you are considered a Minnesota resident, or if you believe that your residency has been inappropriately classified, you can:

If you have been classified as a nonresident, and want to be classified as a resident, you need to complete our Application for Resident Classification.

University of Minnesota Promise Scholarship

Under the University of Minnesota Promise Scholarship (U Promise), eligible new Minnesota resident undergraduates with a family income of up to $120,000, who enroll at any of the University's five campuses, will be guaranteed a U Promise Scholarship. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is used to determine U Promise eligibility. U Promise Scholarship recipients are notified of their scholarship when estimated financial aid awards are mailed to freshmen in the spring.

Learn more about U Promise