We enjoy welcoming groups of students on campus, and we work very closely with high schools and community organizations to bring college-bound students to campus to experience the University of Minnesota in person. Established in 1851, we are Minnesota's only research university, and we are proud of our heritage helping Minnesota's youth achieve their dreams! Our rich history, beautiful campus, and exciting Big Ten atmosphere are best experienced in person, and we can't wait to meet you and the students you serve.
The visit options described below are designed for groups of 10 or more students who will be on campus as part of a school field trip or community organization event. Visit options for individual families can be found on our Visits page.
To request either a virtual or in-person group tour option, please email us with detailed information about your group and possible available dates to [email protected], and we will be in contact with visit options.
Group Visit Options
"Be Part of Something Great" Information Session
A University of Minnesota admissions counselor will describe the academic experience at a world-class research university and discuss how great opportunities, value, and location enhance the student experience. A brief overview of admission decisions and financial aid is also provided. Many groups choose to combine the "Be Part of Something Great" information session with one of the tour options included below.
- Audience: This information is designed for prospective college students in grades 9-12.
- Available: Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Length: 35 minutes
Campus Walking Tour
A University of Minnesota tour guide will bring your group on a guided tour through the heart of campus. Students will see historic buildings, high-tech classrooms, the University Recreation Center, a library, Coffman Memorial Union, and more.
- Audience: This tour is designed for prospective college students in grades 9-12.
- Available: Tuesdays and Wednesdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Length: 60 minutes
Group Visit Tips
We work in partnership with schools and community organizations to ensure that students benefit from their visit experience at the University of Minnesota. Please note the following:
- In order to ensure we have staff members available to assist your group, reservations must be made in advance.
- We require one chaperone per 10 students. Chaperones must be present with students at all times.
- Please have an alternate visit date in mind when you make your reservation, in the event that your first choice is not available.
- When completing the group visit request form, please be as thorough as possible.
- At this time, we are only able to accommodate groups of up to 30 people on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the University of Minnesota provide transportation to campus visitors?
Does the University of Minnesota provide lunch or refreshments to campus visitors?
Because of limited resources, we are not able to cover the costs of lunch for visitors. However, we are happy to provide locations for students and chaperones to eat bagged lunches. We can also make arrangements in advance for visitors to purchase their own meals from University Dining Services. To discuss your group's needs, please contact our Visit Program Coordinator at 612-625-2445 or [email protected].
If you have any additional questions about visiting please contact the Visitline at 612-625-0000 or [email protected].