We are pleased to offer 90- to 120-minute campus tours for admitted and prospective students and their families hosted by our student tour guides. Tours are specifically tailored to meet your needs based on whether you are a student enrolling in the fall or a prospective student looking to gain more information about the U of M before applying, as well as tours of both the Minneapolis and St. Paul campuses.
While we are excited to show students our campus again, it is important to understand what we will be offering and what is expected during a tour to ensure the most enjoyable experience for each admitted or prospective student and their guests.
To protect the safety of everyone, please review the information below.
Campus tours are for admitted and prospective students and their guests only.
Each tour will be limited to approximately 10 people. Please be considerate of the number of total people you bring to campus for your tour, as group sizes will be currently limited.
Facial coverings that cover your mouth and nose are required AT ALL TIMES WHILE INDOORS, regardless of vaccination status.
We ask that you keep your mask on beginning when you check in, and require that it be worn during the entire tour when you are inside any University building, with no exceptions. Masks may be removed during portions of the tour that occur outdoors.
We appreciate your courtesy and support to wear a mask when inside or if you are in close contact with others, regardless of vaccination status, to help protect our students and staff.
We have many options to explore campus.
We offer various virtual and self-guided in-person tour options for those that arrive without an appointment, or if you are unable to travel to campus for a visit.
We will only provide a student-guided tour to admitted and prospective students with each scheduled appointment.
If you do not have a scheduled tour, you can opt to download one of our self-guided tours to enhance your walk through campus.
When do I need to wear a facial covering that covers my mouth and nose?
|If you are:||At check-in||Inside a building on tour||On a bus||Outside, but in a tour group|
|Vaccinated||Requested||REQUIRED||REQUIRED||Optional (with 6-foot distance from others on tour)|
|Not vaccinated||Requested||REQUIRED||REQUIRED||Optional (with 6-foot distance from others on tour)|
Dress for the weather. Summer and winter in Minnesota can be magical. They can also be highly variable. You must dress for it, and bring the proper clothing to be comfortable.
What do our campus tours offer?
- Highlights of our beautiful campus: During the 90-minute tour, you will walk throughout our East Bank section of campus, led by a current student. Students interested in colleges housed on the St. Paul Campus will be offered a tour for that location too.
- Residence Hall (Dorm): We will be able to bring campus tour guests into a residence hall as part of this tour experience.
- Student perspective and experience: Your tour guide will share information about campus along with their student perspective and experiences to help you determine if the U of M is the right fit for you!
- Safety and fresh air: Due to COVID safety precautions, the tour will be mostly outside, with short stops in a couple of buildings.
- Low-contact, safely distanced experience: Your tour check-in, the actual tour, and closing remarks will all be conducted mostly outside, with a minimum of six feet of distance between each of the three groups in your tour and your guide.
What can I expect NOT to see on a tour?
- Inside all buildings on the tour: While we can’t go into every building, we will have a brief stop at the following:
- Coffman Memorial Union, our student union
- A residence hall on campus
- Walter Library
- Bruininks Hall (One Stop Student Services)
- NOTE: Some buildings around campus remain closed to the public, to reduce the number of people inside at one time.
- Crowds of people: We want you and our campus community to remain safe. We will keep our tour groups small with three groups per tour. Each group is asked to remain at least six feet away from other tour members and other groups on campus.
What do we expect of YOU on your pre-scheduled campus tour?
- Follow the safety guidelines: The following requirements are set to protect you, as well as our student tour guides and staff. They are subject to change, and we'll communicate with you if they do.
- Everyone on the tour must…
- Keep a safe distance of at least six feet between others in your group and the tour guide.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided throughout the tour.
- Everyone on the tour must…
- Reschedule your tour if: you or any member of your party have recently tested positive for COVID-19, have come in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, fever of 99.5, new loss of taste or smell, vomiting or diarrhea in the past 48 hours). We will work with you to find a new tour time. (Source: https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/sick.html)
Please do not keep your appointment if you or members of your group have symptoms.
What can you expect from US on your scheduled tour?
- Great information: Nothing beats learning about campus directly from current students! They are well-versed on campus highlights and happy to share their experiences.
- Excitement: Our student tour guides are ecstatic to show you around campus. They love this role and have been missing showing admitted students and their guests around while sharing their collegiate highlights.
- Warm Minnesota welcome: We have missed having visitors on campus and cannot wait to greet you! Even from six feet away, smiling behind our masks.
- Safety: We take our on-campus tours very seriously. We will stick to the outlined expectations above and enforce them with each tour group, so you, our students, and our staff stay safe.