Job Guarantee Program for freshmen
Participation in the U of M Job Guarantee Program allows students to find out about jobs and meet with prospective University employers, including food service, recreational sports, land care, and parking services. Participation in the Job Guarantee Program is limited to 500 eligible students.
Due to the high demand for participation in this program, a lottery system is used to select these 500 students. Information about the program will be emailed by the end of May to incoming freshmen who have confirmed their enrollment.
Frequently asked questions about the Job Guarantee Program
- Who is eligible to participate?
- Please note: Because space in the Freshman Job Guarantee Program is limited to 500 students, we recently held a lottery to select program participants for fall 2013. The lottery sign-up form was held open until Wednesday, June 5, 2013, at 12:00 noon (central time).
Due to the high demand for participation in this program, participants are selected through a lottery each year. The lottery for fall 2013 freshmen has already taken place.
- What kinds of jobs will be available?
- For example, a student may work as a dining services worker, data entry operator, parking attendant, office assistant, library assistant, or building and grounds maintenance worker.
- How will I get hired?
- This program includes guaranteed access to the Job Guarantee Fair as well as guaranteed support from the Student Employment Programs in identifying opportunities to apply for positions. At the fair, you will meet with prospective employers. More information about attending the Job Guarantee Fair will be provided to participants in August.
- How long will the jobs last?
- Typically, jobs last throughout the academic year. To remain in your student job, you must meet the expectations set by your employer. Continued employment after the first year may be possible and would be arranged with your employer.
- How many hours a week will I work?
- The jobs available typically range from 10-20 hours per week.
- Can I participate if I qualify for work-study?
- Yes. You may use your work-study funds in any on-campus student position (and in select off-campus positions). The work-study award amount on your eFAAN is the total amount you may earn in your work-study position. More information about work study funds is available through One Stop.
- How will I know if I have been selected for the Job Guarantee Program?
- Participants who are selected through the lottery process will be notified via email by the end of the day on Monday, June 10.
- As a participant in the Job Guarantee Program, what are my responsibilities?
- Be proactive! You may begin applying for student positions in July, and interviews and hiring decisions are made for some student positions (including food service and parking) over the summer. Even as a participant in the Job Guarantee Program, it is your responsibility to apply for available positions.
- Can I postpone my participation until spring semester if I'm accepted into the program?
- No. Your participation cannot be postponed until spring semester, as most departments meet their hiring needs in the fall. Furthermore, the Job Guarantee fair is only held in the fall.
- Can I get a job if I don't participate in the program?
- Any student seeking a student position at the University can view our database of job postings at http://employment.umn.edu. This site is updated frequently, so check back often.
- Whom do I contact if I have questions?
- If you have any questions, please email U of M Student Employment Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org to have your questions answered.