University of Minnesota
University of Minnesota
Future Transfer

Latest From Instagram

Transfer Admission Requirements

Admission is to a particular college or program, each of which has its own admissions requirements. All applicants, however, need to have successfully completed our high school preparation requirements.

If you are transferring from one degree program to another on the Twin Cities campus, or if you are transferring from the University of Minnesota coordinate campuses of Crookston, Duluth, or Morris, you must complete a Change of College form.

If you are returning to a degree program from an absence of one year or longer, you must complete an Application for Readmission.

University of Minnesota transfer admission criteria

Applicants may be admitted if they meet the entrance requirements of the college or program to which they have applied, and of the major they wish to enter.

Transfer applicants are considered for admission based on an individual review of their applications by the college to which they are applying. In general, transfer applicants must have completed (or be completing) at least 26 semester credits at the time of application. Individual colleges and programs review each application using the primary and secondary review factors listed below, in addition to the program-specific criteria described in the next section. These criteria include the specific prerequisite course and credit requirements for the individual college or program. To learn more about the students admitted for fall 2014, see the academic profile of the fall 2014 admitted transfer students.

Primary review factors

For transfer applicants with fewer than 26 transferable college credits complete, the following factors are also reviewed:

Secondary review factors

Additional conditions for admission

In addition to meeting specific college admission requirements, transfer students must be eligible to return to their previous colleges or universities. If you believe there were special circumstances that led to your previous ineligibility, please provide an explanation on a separate sheet to accompany your application.

The University of Minnesota reserves the right to deny admission to an otherwise admissible applicant if the University determines that the applicant's enrollment would not be in the applicant's and/or the University's best interest.

Specific College Requirements

View a full table of specific college admission information, or see the detailed information on each individual college and program by selecting your college of interest from the list below.

High School Course Preparation Requirements

Most successful transfer applicants will have completed the high school preparation requirements listed below. Both high school and equivalent college coursework will be reviewed for the fulfillment of high school preparation requirements.

  • Four years of English, with emphasis on writing, including instruction in reading and speaking skills and in literary understanding and appreciation;
  • Four years of mathematics, including one year each of elementary algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra;
  • Three years of science, including one year each of biological and physical science and including laboratory experience;
  • Three years of social studies, including one year each of U.S. history and geography (or a course that includes a geography component such as world history, western civilization, or global studies);
  • Two years of a single second language; and
  • One year of visual and/or performing arts, including instruction in the history and interpretation of the art form (e.g., theater arts, music, band, chorus, orchestra, drawing, painting, photography, graphic design, media production, theater production.).

back to top

Change of College

Students transferring from one degree program to another on the Twin Cities campus, or students transferring from the University of Minnesota coordinate campuses of Crookston, Duluth, or Morris, must complete a Change of College form. This form is available from the Office of the Registrar, either on the Twin Cities campus or at your home campus. You may also download a copy of the form from the web. This form, along with any transcripts from schools outside the University system, must be turned in to the Office of the Registrar at the address given on the Change of College instruction sheet.

back to top


Students who have not been granted a formal "leave of absence" or who do not register for two consecutive semesters (excluding summer session) shall be place on "inactive" status. When returning from "inactive" status, you must fill out the Application for Readmission and submit the completed form to your college office. This form is available from your college office, or you may download a copy of the form from the web. You must also submit any official transcript(s) of any outside course work since your last attendance at the University of Minnesota to the Office of Admissions, 240 Williamson Hall, 231 Pillsbury Drive SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.

back to top

Please note: The University of Minnesota Twin Cities will be closed from Wednesday, December 24, 2014, through Friday, December 26, 2014. The University will reopen on Monday, December 29, 2014.

Need help finding something?

Office of Admissions, a Division of the Office of Undergraduate Education • 240 Williamson Hall • 231 Pillsbury Drive S.E. • Minneapolis, MN 55455-0213 • P: 1-800-752-1000 • F: 612-626-1693